Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Jude

Okay, although I love most music, I admit I am, like Andrew Breitbart, an "alternative snob." Hey, I feel entitled. When all my little friends were just figuring out that Shaun Cassidy was not cool, I was already into bands like REM.

Anyway I am reading this blurb in National Review Online (via lucianne.com) and there was mention of this singer called "Jude" who had a "steely spine." I am ashamed to say I rolled my eyes and thought. "Oh lord not another teeny-bopper dweeb who is going to embarrass conservatives everywhere." But then I clicked on the link to his "coming out" article.

First, he was smart, and I like smart. Second, he made me laugh, which is always a good thing. Third, unlike most of Hollywood, he didn't come across as someone who was arrogant enough to think he ought to tell me how I should live my life. That really drives me bug f#$k. But....I didn't want to listen to his music, because I am a music snob. Shame on me. I listened anyway and then I bought two cds from cdbaby. You can listen to samples of his music on his website here.

Also I am pretty sure that if I described someone that I have to deal with for work as "like the Cheat, without the gold tooth," he would not look at me like I was a mutant.

I am definitely a fan and hope that he will play Jazzfest sometime. As an added bonus, I don't think he would spoil the show by injecting politics into it.

He says that he is not so brave. I disagree. I am a coward. I did not have a McCain sign in my yard because I was afraid that my house would be vandalized or that some nutjob would come into the yard and poison my cats or dogs. (I might have taken the risk for Fred Thompson.)

Last night I lurked on the live blog of 24. Truth be told, I stopped watching in season 2, and I think the show is absolute drivel, but I loved his Mystery Science Theater 3000 version. Definitely the proper treatment of this show.

No comments: